When we were going through the Isha Yoga Inner Engineering class, our lunch was all-natural meal of dishes made of raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. Nothing was cooked. One of the things that especially caught my imagination was Peanut-Banana-Honey Porridge. I had thought that it had milk in it. But no. It used the natural oils/liquids of peanuts to create the effect. Peanuts are very extensively used in the Isha food preparation.
The main benefits of Bananas and Peanuts are:
– Nutrient rich, providing over 30 essential nutrients and phytonutrients
– Good source of niacin, folate, fiber, magnesium, vitamin E, manganese and phosphorus
– Highest Protein content of any nuts
– High in Fat – but the “Good” or Unsaturated Fat.
– Lowers Cholesterol and risk of Heart Disease
– High in Niacin – for Brain Health, Brain Circulation and blood flow
– High on Anti-Oxidants. In fact the Roasted Peanuts’ antioxidant content is equivalent to Blackberried and Strawberries and far more than Apples, Carrots and Beets.*
– Significant source of resveratrol (30 times more than grapes), a chemical useful for anti-aging effects. and reduced Cardiovascular disease and Cancer risk.
– Source of Coenzyme Q10 (Fish, Beef, Soybeans and Spinach also are a good source) – an antioxidant which helps in preventing congestive heart failure.
* Peanuts contain high concentrations of antioxidant polyphenols, primarily a compound called p-coumaric acid, and that roasting can increase peanuts’ p-coumaric acid levels, boosting their overall antioxidant content by as much as 22%
– Reduced risk of
– Colorectal cancer
– Breast cancer in Women
– Renal cell carcinoma
Here is how I make it:
1. Soak one cup of peanuts over night in water
2. Crush the peanuts with some water in the mixer
3. Blend two Bananas with some water in the mixer
4. Crush some Cardamom on the side
5. Add the blended peanuts, bananas, two teaspoons of honey and crushed cardamom into a blender.
6. Blend and serve cool.
This meal is not only nutritious and healthy but also extremely filling! Once I have it in the morning, I don’t have the urge to eat anything until late evening.