Rajya Sabha – is the House of “Elders” (I am adding quotes for a reason!) – where the members are nominated – not elected. So, it would seem we would have people:
- Who represent the common man
- Are distinguished in their own right
- Have something useful to offer to the society by way of talent and scholarship
Instead we now come to know that these are the distinguing characteristics of our “Elders”:
- Over 50% of the Rajya Sabha members are Crorepatis (multi-millionaires) [98 out of 183] with 65% Congress representatives and 53% of BJP Reps – while in Lok Sabha this percentage is 58% [315 out of 543 MPs]
- 17 percent are facing criminal charges according to their own declarations in their affidavits – Self Declared Criminals!
A country is defined by who rules it. It is shameful when those who our representatives nominate are downright criminals!